This professional works with organizations and businesses on a per-project basis and is usually self-employed. Some may work with consulting firms. To become a good marketing consultant there are certain personality traits you should have, whether you are just starting out as a marketing consultant or been working as one for several years. In today’s business world, firms sometimes are forced to lay-off or let go employees. Although having these personality traits will not guarantee that you will always have a job they can weigh in your favor if there is a cut at the firm where you work.
• Have enough experience, which does not mean that all of your experience comes from working as a marketing consultant. Experience can include being able to work difficult clients and keeping them happy and a client of your firm, understand what the client wants, etc.
• Outgoing personality-this means that you are comfortable “putting yourself out there,” You have the self confidence with meeting new people, building new client relationships, networking, selling yourself to clients and proving that you can produce what you tell your clients you will do. It also means that you are a motivated self-starter and will work to bring new clients into the firm without being reminded or told that is your job. You also have to like people.
• Plenty of connections that will enable you to bring new clients to the firm or if self-employed you have the connections to build up your client base and bring in more income
• You need to have money sense and know when it is okay to take a risk. Most marketing consultants are paid on commissions and if you are just starting out as a self-employed marking consultant you need to make sure that you have the funds to stay afloat until you get your first client. Even if you work for a consultant firm times could be slow and you are not getting the commissions as before so you need to make sure that you have money set aside just for these times.
• Strong work ethic because being a marketing consultant does not you will have the normal nine to five working hours. You have to be available when it is convenient for your clients sometimes, you may have to work late nights, weekends, and maybe even early mornings. You also have to have the self-discipline to set your own hours and work them, understanding that may be situations where there is an emergency meeting you have to attend or have to change your schedule for a client
• Be willing to take work home with you, especially if there is a deadline or a client wants to make changes in their marketing strategy.